Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wow, I love the nesting instinct

Okay, Simoney. We're ready for you to arrive! The house has never been more clean.

I crashed around 4:30pm today, and Steve didn't wake me (I love him!). I woke up at about 10pm, which is about the longest stretch of sleep I've had in a long time. Since I usually stay up until "socially acceptable times" to go to bed, the insomnia of being up until 3AM has been kicking my butt. Having gotten a stretch of sleep in, though, I was ready to take on the world.

It's about 2:45 in the morning, and almost everything in the whole house is in the right place. My cleaning person is coming tomorrow to do the actual cleaning stuff (vacuum, dust, etc). Steve kept saying for years that we didn't really need a cleaning person...but agreed that we need to start outsourcing some things if I'm going to keep teaching my online courses through Simone's infancy. By paring down on the groceries and doing more meal planning, there's money in the budget for hiring some help. I'd rather outsource cleaning than not teach, so there you have it. Plus, the economics of hourly wage of online teaching to cleaning help....blah blah blah. And I think he'll be surprised by how nice it is to have the whole house scrubbed down at once. He wasn't here the other time our cleaning guy came (he was in Canada), so he didn't get the joy of it.  

Everything is back in it's place, and ready to be shined up tomorrow. I want to go into labor tomorrow night, although I'm not quite close to my due date (Jul 30), but I'm not sure if I'll get the energy to have the house this clean again.

I think Steve was nesting too, as he went around completing every pending item on his "to do" list. We hung the pictures, key holder, coat rack, etc...and he cleaned out the shed. What I loved about the cleaning/purging/organizing of today was that it was actually lasting things. I mean, the clean playroom will last for about...oh...4 seconds. But getting that mud room re-organized will have a lasting effect. It's like my brain finally clicked about the best places to put things, and I feel silly it didn't happen earlier. I find it takes about 6 months to settle into a new house, and we've been here...2 and a half? But I think it's finally starting to click.

No comments: