Thursday, October 9, 2008

From all places...


We've had workers replacing the siding and windows on the house for the last 2 weeks.  Two really nice guys.  They've been charming additions to our family, even carrying in the groceries for me one day when it was raining.  Steve and I have both been really impressed with them.

So today was the last day Rick was here.  He was going to be done yesterday, so I had a slew of mamas and kids over to play today.  Something went awry with the window, so he ended up smack dab in the middle of our playgroup.  Poor guy.  He was such a good sport about it, though, and was even called over by all the boys to check out a big praying mantis on the treehouse.  All those intriguing tools and gadgets, I imagine they thought he was a superhero.

After everyone left and Simone and Andrew were asleep, I went out to apologize for the mayhem.  He chuckled and said: "Aw, no problem.  You've got great kids.  It's hard raising kids these days.  I don't know how you do what you do.  You're a really good mom."  I have to be honest, I started tearing up.  For one, he's so nice!  This big burly guy taking the time to say something like that.  But then also, that he's had a front row seat to our chaos for the last 2 weeks and still said something really validating.  He's heard the fighting over toys and the tantrums before naptime.  Not to mention the fact that Andrew runs naked 95% of the time (including during our playgroup!), regardless of whether I put him in clothes.  Makes me wonder what he's seeing at other homes!   But it re-fueled my mothering tank more than he realized.  He'd been so gracious about our toy cluttered living room and all the rambunctious noise.  Somehow he'd managed to see below the surface, which meant a lot to me.  Seeing good in humanity (and hearing positive affirmation) just makes my whole day.

So, about a minute after this lovely moment, I hear Jack calling from the bathroom: "Hey Mom!  I just went pee, and some of it got all over the floor and my pants!  What should I do?"  Oh lordy.  The lovely bubble burst and I went in for Pee Patrol.  

Mothering is so much more about poop and pee than ANYONE ever warned me.  Seriously.   Some days, I feel like all I do is manage the pee and poop of my 3 children...even my potty trained one!   Is it just us? 


No comments: