Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Seasons of a child

Andrew had a hard last couple of days. He's been telling me his teeth hurts and wanting to chew pacifiers like Popeye, cock-eyed in his mouth, so I suspect teething his 2-year molars. And, he got some wheat night before last...which makes his sleep weird too. We've been trying to figure out a way to make sleep work in a way that makes everyone happy, and I wasn't quite sure how that was all going to work. Things were not clicking with him. He was exhausted and mad and getting crabbier each day.

And then tonight, Real Andrew was back. Thank goodness. It's amazing how just when you think you're fried with some new phase, it turns into something new. He was charming and darting around the house like nothing ever happened. That 45 minute cry-fest about orange juice this morning? Ancient history.

Jack had some Fritos he was eating. Andrew wanted some of them, and I realized that was the last of the Fritos. Crap. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, and I asked if Jack was willing to share any with Andrew. Jack pulled out two "loser Fritos" from the bottom of the bag and stuck them on Andrew's plate.

I ran through all sorts of Lazy Mom options to avoid a fight. I had told Jack he could have them, but didn't know that was the last of them. Pay Jack a quarter for half the Fritos? Try to "spinmaster" the tortilla chips in the cupboard so Andrew would want them? My mind went blank and I just went for the truth:

"Andrew...that's the last of the Fritos. And I already told Jack he could have them. Can we get you something else?"

Based on the last few days, I was sure there would be some emotional mess to clean up. He just nodded and said, "Okay, Mommy."

What?! Just when you think you know your child, they surprise you. Real/Rational Andrew was back. I've missed him these last few days.

No comments: