Saturday, March 28, 2009

Puppy love

Oh lord. This is the period after a baby that I start really, really wanting the next child. Since our family is complete but I'm not maxed out yet, it appears I'm replacing childbearing with a maternal instinct for a puppy.

This is NOT good news. Steve was on board for babies...not for a puppy.

It doesn't help that Jack decided he wants a dog, and even explained to me in detail the house he was going to build for it. How can that not tug at your heartstrings?

But I need to be talked out of it. A dog is not a good fit for our family, on several levels. I don't think. I don't know. I'm forgetting why it was such a bad idea. The only thing I can remember is our month-long trips in the summer...but maybe we could bring him/her with us?

Doesn't every child need a dog? Or something...

Too bad Steve is out of town, or I could have nipped it in the bud earlier. When he gets my voice mail asking for a new puppy, I might get a late night phone call to set the record straight. =)

Heehee.

5 comments:

David said...

Since our family is complete

Maybe it isn't?

Patricia said...

On my hardest days with little people, the dog manages to vomit on the carpet, poop on their rug, or bark to be fed at 6am, when I've finally fallen asleep after being up since 3am. Also, puppies take the same amount of time and bring similar sleep deprivation as newborns. With the baby itch, you would not have a newborn for at least another 10 mo. Wait that long before considering a puppy. sorry so long

Sarahbeth said...

Thanks, Patricia. That definitely helped. =) I can lose sleep for a baby, no sweat...but probably not so much for a dog.

LOL, David. There are some measures in place now that make our family pretty certainly complete. ;)

Sara said...

Having had a dog all I can say is don't do it...they are good fun but a lot of work.

If you really want a pet for the kids have you thought about something small and easy to care for? We have a rabbit that hops around that back yard with the girls and will happily snuggle in their laps while they watch a show. When we are busy it stays in it's cage and can be left alone for a night or two or pawned off on a neighbor for longer trips since it is so low maintenance....though with Jack's love of all things Russian a rabbit might not work...

Sarahbeth said...

Andrew and Simone and I went to the pet store today to look around (not for a pet, mostly just for fun). It was a good cure, as I came away thinking a fish didn't even sound that great right now. Too many other fun things to do with the kiddos. =) So I guess a dog isn't a good idea... ;)

Maybe some Venus fly traps?

Although a bunny does sound cute...

There was a blue macaw there for $10,800!!! That is definitely NOT going to happen. Who buys that?!