Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sh*t happens

I often wish there was a traveling photographer, documenting the little moments in life. I try to capture those when I can (a) find the camera, and (b) remember to snap them. But often, those messy/chaotic/food-stained and yet utterly wonderful moments of life are missed.

Case in point:

Where was the photographer when we were out driving today and Jack had to go to the bathroom..."It's urgent, Mom!" And I screeched into the closest parking lot and looked around for something to use. I'd just cleaned the car, which stripped my van of all the normal emergency resources. Where were the baby diapers, the empty cashew jar, etc?

We had a case of emergency Aquafina in the back, so I turned into MacGyver-Mom. Drank the contents of the water bottle so he could pee in it, ripped open the plastic casing and laid it out so he could poo on it, and then we sat for awhile in the parked car while he did his business. I used mini-pack of Kleenex in my purse to wipe him. Then I cleaned everything up and put it in Walgreen's dumpster. I was so proud/relieved that it went off without a hitch.

After all of this was done, my Spiderman-clad 2-year-old says: "I need to poop too, Mommy. Can I do it outside?"

Oh. my. lord.

Why did I not think of this in the first place?

Seriously? My 28-month-old has more advanced problem solving skills than I do?

Where was the photographer, then, when my tiny Spiderman was crouched in the trees of Walgreen's, doing HIS business, while the highway traffic rushed past us?

Ah, motherhood. It's not necessarily pretty. And it's definitely not convenient. But it really is about these moments that end up being pure, unadulterated Family. And even in the midst of it, I knew that there was something really beautiful happening. Something important. It's these little moments, even more than the Big Stuff, that really defines who we are.

The family that poops together, stays together.

1 comment:

Doula Mommy said...

That is too funny! Thanks for making me smile! (and I'm right there with you, Micah dropped his toy keys in the deer cage at the VLM last Saturday, where was my camera? at home!)