Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wow, I'm bloggy tonight...

...and I think it's because I'm supposed to be grading. And the grading is the uber-boring, data entry stuff that requires zero creativity, so I take frequent breaks. Thank god for Facebook, since email is dead on weekends. I grade a class or two, and then hunt around for a distraction. My family is tucked away upstairs, sleeping.

I started thinking about that baby in the window when I dropped off Jack at Natallia's today. She lives in an apartment, and as I walked back to my car, I saw through a window...a little baby sitting on the bed wearing only a diaper. Young, maybe 6 months? That age when they can't move much, so they show happiness by beating their hands on the ground in front of them. Precious.

The baby looked so happy, and at first, I couldn't see why.

Then, a woman with a camera stepped into the window view. She was making faces and making Baby laugh, and snapping picture after picture.

I was so touched by this moment as I eavesdropped into their life. This tiny little person, being documented by someone who loves him. How this woman cared enough about this little creation, this sweet little child, to want to remember his little baby fat rolls. The drooling, toothless smile. The bald head. He meant something to her, clearly. You could see it on her face.

This is the start of an entire span of human life for this little guy, and this is what he's learned about the world, at 6 months old. That he's important to someone. That he's loved. That this woman wants to remember all his little evolutions along the way.

I got into my car feeling really good about humanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo.. bookmarked