Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ironmate

I missed last year's Ironman race because I had a 1 month old, and the turnaround time for travel back was ridiculous. Steve had to be back to work the next day, so he had to get in the car and drive home 10 hours right after the 12 hour race (112 bike, 2.4 mile swim, and full marathon). One-month-olds don't like tight itineraries like that. So this is my first time attending.

I love it!

I don't know if I love the whole shenanigan enough to actually DO the race. Haha. Steve and I laugh heartily about when I tried to be a Good Wife by going with him to the gym. I spent 10 minutes on the bike and said, "Um, can we try something else?" Then 10 minutes on the elliptical and I couldn't bear it any longer. Time to go home.

He did not marry me for a training partner...but luckily, after 4 years of dating he knew whom he was getting. :)

I can hike with the best of them; I love long walks and being active. An Ironman is NOT in my future, though.

But...this is inspiring in a way I didn't expect. It's incredible to see the SPIRIT here. This feeling of excitement and electricity and the joy. Steve tells me "just wait till the finish line!" I can imagine. My post-birthing euphoria could have lit up New York City. That triumph of the human experience...of pushing limits to beyond what you could have dreamed. It's intoxicating. To have thousands experiencing that in concert must be incredible.

Doing an Ironman is probably not in the cards, ;) but I'm excited for our family that this will be part of our experience. I'm so proud of him! I can't wait for the kids to really understand what Dad is doing. What an accomplishment this is! How much it means to work so hard for something that means a lot to you. And, to learn that some of the best things in life (childbirth, triathlons, whatever) are so great because they're hard-won.

Steve's dad went on-stage because he was one of the 2 oldest people in the race, at age 72. Awesome! I love that they're doing this race together. This is a side of Steve that I love, and I can't wait to see it be a part of his life for a long time.

Oh...and it helps sell me on it that we're in a great hotel in the middle of the city, and our day was filled with museums. My perfect day. :)

No comments: