Thursday, October 22, 2009

Putting things into perspective

I asked Alfredo if he could email me a list of "most needed" items for the orphanage. Shoes and cloth diapers...but what else? Maybe I could round up some of those things too. The email just came through. He mentioned they desperately needed children's sweaters. I was just thinking today that I had too many little sweaters for the kids.

How sheepish I feel.

We have a huge box to send, and I'm so excited for them to get it. But then looking at that list...where do you begin? Two big boxes of castoff clothes, cloth diapers, and shoes doesn't really put a dent in it.

How strange to have so many things. So many comforts. And then to think of them asking for the most basic things, like a sweater for each child.

Now that the kids are in bed, my work is done, and I have some space to sit and think, seeing that list put my priorities back in order. Today doesn't seem that bad. We have an abundance of clothes, so much love, and a trip to DC this weekend. No power and being sick doesn't really seem like that big of a deal.

I need to go collect some sweaters before I go to bed.

2 comments:

Doula Mommy said...

SB- Can you send me the address to the orphanage? I feel so humbled right now, I was so upset that it looks like I won't need to knit sweaters for my kinds for this winter (don't think it will be cold enough in FL), but I can definitely knit and send some to kids in need!
Thanks!!!!

Sarahbeth said...

Yes! When he told me that, it made me want to learn to knit so I could make hundreds of little sweaters. I imagine it's an ongoing need, as each child probably wears one out every season. How wonderful of you!!!

Alfredo Benitez
NPHI Country Liaison
7175 SW 47th Street, Unit 207
Miami, FL 33155
Office: (305) 663-6211
Fax: (305) 663-6210
www.friendsusoftheorphans.org