Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"I'd actually consider going to Thailand"

When we were planning our honeymoon, I printed off reams of information on Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.  Steve took one look at the stack, shook his head with a laugh, and said: "I've never been out of the country.  Let's start with Italy."

So, we spent 3 weeks backpacking in Italy.

Next year is our 10th anniversary, and we're contemplating a Big Trip.

These words actually came out of my husband's mouth on the phone, about 10 minutes ago: "I'd actually consider going to Thailand."

I screamed into the phone and nearly dropped it.  This, mind you, is before any actual travel planning specifics.  But there was something so momentous in that statement for me.

We have come so far in our nearly-a-decade years (not including the 4 years dating).  So much growth, evolution, combining of dreams, expansion of hopes and imagination for our lives together. 

Before marrying, I remember saying to a friend: "What's more dangerous, marrying someone hoping they change, or marrying someone and hoping they never do?"  I loved Steve "as is" so deeply that it was a bit disconcerting to think of him becoming someone else along the way.

I wanted to go to Thailand, yes, but I loved Steve more.  And knew that his travel spirit was more low-key. Er...kinda non-existant.  That we'd settle close to his family.  And that the trade-off wouldn't seem like a trade-off, because I'd be with this incredible man.

And then...

We both changed.  Expanded in some ways, settled in others.  We are nothing, nothing, nothing like we planned for ourselves.  His MBA wife turned into a hippie.  My Porsche-loving husband now loves mini-vans and says things like, "I'd actually consider going to Thailand." 

Seriously awesome.  Whether we step foot on Thailand's soil, I don't even care.  That statement makes me *that* happy.

No comments: