Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ocean Breeze

This has been the most amazing week.  The last few years, I feel like I've been pressing my nose against the window of a store display, with all the fun family activities lit up inside.  Water parks, hiking, all sorts of things that seemed more hassle than recreation with wee ones.

Simone is still a bit wee, but borderline.  She wants to join in the fun at this point, even if she's still got some limits.  But things are starting to happen.  I love, love, love where our family is heading

For Steve's birthday, I wanted to give him a fun family day to celebrate.  We decided to go to Ocean Breeze, the water park just a few miles from our house. We've passed it a gazillion times, and Jack always asked if we could go to the place with the huge gorilla statue.  I decided I'd watch Simone and Steve and the boys could play, but turns out, there was plenty for Simone to do.

It ended up being one of the BEST days of my life.  What a freakin' awesome day. 

Both of the boys were old enough to go down the huge water slides...and they did.  With hardly any lines (weekday, pre-season), they could run up the giant flights of stairs as fast as their little legs could carry them...and go again...and again...and again.

The first go-round, the attendant said to me:  "There are two slides.  This one is the fastest, the other is a bit more low-key." Andrew, bouncing frantically up and down and holding his intertube, shrieked: "I want the fastest!" And couldn't run to the slide fast enough. Even the lifeguard laughed out loud at Andrew.

I wish I'd had my camera to capture the look of pure, unadulterated BLISS on that sweet little 3-year-old face.  I've never seen something so beautiful.  He went down first, and I followed in my intertube. Since I couldn't see him, I was hoping it went okay.  It was a fast slide - and big!  My tube came out the bottom, and there was Andrew, sopping wet and grinning bigger than any human being has ever grinned.  He could barely get out the words, he was so excited: "Let's go again!"

Babies are miracles, and watching their tiny newness is an incredible gift.  I love so many things about it.  But there is nothing...nothing...that beats meeting my children's spirits in their growing phases.  Andrew's fearless love for adrenaline and motion.  Jack's low-key but very real joy.  The giggles...like little angel laughs...and his voice saying: "I loved it!" 

Yesterday was such a gift to our family.  Simone in the kiddie area, bouncing in that water-swing for about 45 minutes.  The water and the sunshine and so much laughter.

I think this is going to be quite a summer. :)

No comments: