Thursday, August 19, 2010

May the literary-force be with us

Andrew has little-to-no interest in the alphabet.  I mean, he knows the actual alphabet...but the actual letter sounds, very little interest.

If you ask him if he sees any letters he knows in a word, he counts how many letters there are.  If you ask him what "A" says (even though he knows it), he'll still announce that there are 8 As on the page.  He's done this as long as I can remember about him.

I suspect we might have a "numbers" kid on our hands. 

While I don't really care if he cares about letters, especially at age 3, I've sensed about Andrew that he will not be a conventional path of academics.

He spoke a word or two early, then stopped talking much for awhile. Lots of gesturing and communication, though.  I always knew what he needed, even if he wasn't saying the word. Then at 18 months old, he broke out into these strangely long sentences for a child who'd barely spoken just months before.

Knowing Andrew, I predict most of his learning will be similar. "Andrew-style"... no one else's trajectory. If he suddenly starts reading entire chapter books overnight someday, I'm not sure I'd blink.

Andrew always been a more abstract thinker than I'd expect at his age.  He'd rather talk philosophy or Star Wars (or the philosophy of Star Wars) than talk about colors. 

The other day, I asked him what color the library couch was, just to test my theory about him (my poor children with their analytical mother...).  He shrugged.  And then said: "Why do you think they made couches?  Who makes them?  Do they like making couches?" 

Last night, Jack and I went to Borders to buy him a book.  And while waiting for him to pick one out, I saw they had a board-book of Star Wars Alphabet.  "J" for Jedi, "O" for Obi-Wan. 

I was stunned that such a thing even existed, and grateful to the Book Publishers of America for publishing specifically for my goofy little guy.  And of course, I bought it. 

When Andrew becomes literate, it will not be through BOB books.  Andrew is writing his own curriculum, and I imagine it will be from de-coding comic books and books about cowboys and superheroes and Star Wars. 

Because let me tell you, that Star Wars Alphabet book was the biggest hit I can remember in awhile.  We read it over and over.  He talked about "G" being for General Grievous or "P" for Padawan. 

And then he slept curled up with the book.

No comments: