Sunday, October 24, 2010

Snapshots of parenthood

In the messy madness of the days, there are moments that just melt me.  They catch me off-guard and give me a moment of wonder about how really spectacularly beautiful it is to mother little persons. 

Like Andrew, falling in love with the song Mr. Tambourine Man. Whenever we get in the car, he asks me to play it.  And his teeny-tiny angel voice singing along ("...hey Mr. Tambourine man, play a song for me...") is one of the most adorable things I've ever heard.

And Jack, when he overheard me tell Steve that Simone hadn't seen Wizard of Oz, so she probably doesn't understand the "Dorothy" dress I bought on clearance last year. A few minutes later, we found him in the back bedroom. He'd found the DVD collection, picked out the movie, loaded it, and was eager to present it to Simone. I love how he takes care of his little siblings.


Or Simone, planning her Princess Birthday Party, despite being almost a full year away from another birthday.  She invites people all the time and tells everyone how she's going to wear a "princess suit." Not "princess dress."  Casey joked that it's because she's used to her big brothers wearing superhero suits.  We even bought some princess paper plates at the dollar store.  I think I might run with Casey's suggestion to just have a random princess party for all the little 2-year-old girls, because there's no way she can wait until she's 3.

I wonder now how I didn't mind if I didn't have a daughter, back before she was born.  If I'd had 3 boys, I would have been just as ecstatic.  But seeing this new chapter of parenthood...filled with sparkle shoes and dolls and tutus and Princess parties...is pretty fun to watch.

Then again, all of it is pretty fun to watch.

No comments: