Monday, November 15, 2010

Apples and hurricanes

Life has been slamming me with to-dos the last few weeks, but suddenly, there's an eerie calm.  Very eerie.  This week feels like an eye in a hurricane, and I'm getting a chance to take a few deep breaths.  And spend some calm quiet, chatting with Jack after every one else fell asleep (the little ones, planned...Steve fell asleep putting Simone down to bed). :)

It's amazing to have long stretches of one-on-one time with him, and it's hard to believe I had it for 2.5 years with him.  But I think it's the change from the norm that makes it so special.  When it was just him, he was bored and wishing he had someone.  It felt so nice hearing his sweet little questions and ideas, without the background noise of chaos.  Or any "just a second, sweetie, I need to ____".  It was just him and me. 

We need to do that more often.  Even if it does mean he's up until 10.

He gave me a few pipe cleaners and then had me do an Odyssey of the Mind activity with him, where we each had 3 minutes to make something.  In secret. 

After 3 minutes, this is what we've both made:


Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

No comments: