Friday, November 19, 2010

Man cannot live on donuts alone

Day 1 and 2 of overhauling my food-management has been a huge success.  I ate green things, chugged water, and had a real breakfast (not just coffee).

Day 1, I'm pretty sure I cheated.  I was so proud of myself for packing a banana on my way out the door for the day.  Baby steps.  Forgot about lunch.  Then I met with the Dean up at school, and the Director walked by and offered us box lunches from Jason's Deli.  Fruit cup and veggie wrap.  Fabulous.  Saved by the box lunch.  Note to self to pack my own lunch for Day 2.

Day 2, I had my banana AND a real lunch.  No Starbucks run on the way home from Co-op today.  Normally, I drive the loooong way home to go past the drive-thru Starbucks, and get my coffee and whatever panini flavor they have left...normally stuffing the panini in my face before they even get the coffee out to me.  Tendencies towards low blood sugar and not packing lunches for Days Out are not a good combination.  :)

It's amazing how quickly the body can respond to getting Real Food back into the body, instead of donuts, caffeine, and leftover pizza.  Usually on Friday nights I've been drained, energy-wise.  Our weekdays are ridiculously packed.  We're still attempting a family movie night (Last Airbender plays while I type), but I'm not feeling fried or overly irritable. 

Dinner last night was TJ's french fries (just potatoes and oil) and pomegranate seeds.  Tonight is leftover pasta with their pre-cooked balsamic vinegar chicken chopped up on top.  Also, the pumpkin bread mix from Trader Joe's.  Goodness, that was yummy..and EASY. 

Could I chop and season things myself?  Yes.  Did I?  No. So having a bunch of chicken that needs cooked/seasoned would just rot in our freezer.  Okay, not rot.  But not be eaten very quickly.

This is definitely my new plan.

Getting used to easy-but-healthy foods is going to be a quick transition, I can see.  Not quite sure why I didn't strategize like this a month ago. 

Steve says we were in "food denial."  :)  I think he might be right.

No comments: