Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Simone

In the fall, when I asked Simone (2y4m) what she wanted for Christmas, she said: "To go to school."  Her deepest heartbreak at co-op is that she isn't old enough for classes, like the boys.  She can't go until fall.

So when Jackie said she could be in the Montessori class with Andrew on Thursdays, I jumped on it.

I deliberately didn't tell Simone the plan before today, because I didn't want to hear about it non-stop.  Yes, I'm lazy like that. 

So today I said: "Guess what! You're such a big girl that you get to start preschool tomorrow!"

Simone's first question, quite seriously: "What's going to be in my lunch bag?"

Words cannot describe how much I love this little stinker girl.

Later we were snuggling and I said: "Wow, I'm going to miss you tomorrow!"

Simone: "Wait. When I'm at pre-school?  You're going to be gone?"  The funny part is, this new piece of news sounded super-exciting to her.  Without waiting for me to answer she kept chatting away:  "And then you're going to pick me UP?  And give me a big hug?  Oh yeah, you're going to do that!" 

And then ran off to tell Daddy that she gets to go to school all by herself.

My little baby girl.   It really does go so fast.  In *this* blink of an eye, it's a one-day-a-week Montessori class for my 2 year old.

A few more blinks of an eye: Backpacking Europe, out of state college, who knows.  I imagine the boundaries are endless with this little sprite.

No comments: