Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Wearing stripes with plaid is easy"

My kids can wear costumes to the grocery store whenever they want.  Mismatched clothing, I struggle with that one a bit more. 

Maybe it's just a self-consciousness.  If my kid wears a Spiderman suit with a cowboy hat, it's clear the child dressed himself.  If the outfit just has no rhyme-or-reason, it looks a bit more like parental neglect.

That said, you've likely seen my children wearing mismatched clothing more than once, if you've seen us more than once. 

I pick my battles.

Today, I had Jack put out his clothes for co-op tomorrow.  He pulled out these maroon/black/white sport pants and an orange and gray T-shirt he loves, with a dinosaur on it.  I'm no fashionista, but they look horrible together.

Me: "Hey, Jack?  You can wear whatever you want.  But just out of curiosity, do you CARE that they don't match?"

Jack, looking mystified: "Huh?  Who says they don't match?  And.... is that even really important if they match?  I like them both."

Ummm...I guess not.  Considering this quote from Albert Einstein, I think Jack has much better company arguing his point:

“Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.”

No comments: