Saturday, April 2, 2011

Next life phase: Ready or not, here we go...

I'm starting to pack for our move.  Out of the vacation rental in June...travel for two months...then to Williamsburg for the school year.  I love moving. Clearing things out, filling bags with outgrown clothes, cloth diapers we've (thankfully) moved out of using, odds and ends that seem to breed in the corners of our rooms.

We thought this was going to be a little hiccup in our trajectory...just a one year move to Williamsburg for Steve to finish off his accounting Masters at William and Mary.  And yes, that's happening.  But then, his advisor told him to think about where he wanted to do his internship in January 2012, since things happen quickly with interviews.  And where you do your internship tends to be where you work.

Hmm.

We love it here and there are so many great things about Virginia Beach.  But we've shifted some of our rubrics since we chose this four years ago. 

Back to the drawing board?

My first choice, four years ago, was Raleigh, North Carolina.  My rubrics:  Number of museums in the area, better winters (than Chicago), schooling options when you're off-the-grid (how many co-ops?), progressive community, blah blah blah.  I could go on, but I probably already lost you.

Steve cared about the ocean, warmer weather, cost of living, and the school district.  He got a job at the Math Academy in Virginia Beach, which made the decision even easier.  But now that he's going to finish off his CPA degree...well, that changes things.

I lost Raleigh because of the ocean.  Steve cared more about the ocean than I did about any of my rubrics...and truthfully, I could find what I needed in Virginia Beach.  But now we've lived between one-to-four blocks from it for the last four years, and we're debating how big of a variable that is.  It is a variable, but how much?

With Raleigh-Durham, I'm in love with the fact that Duke has the PhD in neuro-economics.  I want to throw up with joy just thinking about it.  :)  I want to sit in the department office and stalk the professors, soaking up the joy of it all just by osmosis.  I have no idea when it will make sense in my life to finish off my degree, but I love knowing it's sitting right there.  Waiting for my life to settle down a wee bit.

Next weekend, we're visiting Raleigh to check it out.  I'm already packing for the weekend.  Putting books and items we don't need into boxes, wondering about storage units while we travel this summer.  Once I know the next phase is around the corner, I feel such excitement about moving towards it.  Not running from the old phase, just loving the novelty of what's ahead. 

Virginia Beach or Raleigh, we're not sure.  And I don't need to know yet.  I'm just loving the adventure about knowing we can open either door in our life, and it will work out just the way it's supposed to work.

1 comment:

Motherhood and More said...

I've always heard wonderful things about Raleigh. It seems like someplace I would love. And the cost of living is really low there, comparatively, isn't it?